Serving the North Iowa Area Since 1946

Our History

1946

Good Shepherd Geriatric Center began when the Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society purchase an unfinished building to provide care for the aged and infirmed.

1949

Good Shepherd begins to grow.

1965

Articles of Incorporation were filed with the Secretary of State of the State of Iowa to establish Good Shepherd Geriatric Center, Inc. as a non-profit corporation

1969

The Health Center, a 160 bed skilled/intermediate unit was added to the existing building
The Manor was developed by converting the former Hanford Hotel to 100 one and two bedroom apartments for independent senior living.

1970

Shalom Tower I was built as a HUD Section 8 96 unit independent living apartment complex for low-income seniors.

1974

Telephone Reassurance program was instituted based on identified need to monitor seniors in their own homes to maintain independence and safety. This service continues to be offered at no cost to participants today.

1977

The John Gregory Lindon Hall (The Chapel) was built.

1982

Shalom Tower II a HUD Section 202 project, was built adding 48 independent living apartments for low income seniors.

1990

29 Intermediate Care beds were added, making bed capacity to 295.

1995

A 34 bed addition for skilled and intermediate care was built.

2001

Cornerstone Assisted Living opens, residents on 1st floor of original geriatric center are relocated to new building. Space is converted into 18 assisted living apartments and named Cornerstone Assisted living.

 

2002

Kentucky Ridge Assisted Living opens with 40 apartments on southern edge of Mason City.

2004

16 one bedroom assisted living apartments added to 2nd floor of original building, cornerstone. Secured area for individuals diagnosed with having symptoms of Alzheimer’s and related dementia is renovated on 3rd floor.

 

2010

Kentucky Ridge Assisted Living opens additional 20 units with new addition.

2012

Manor Remodel Completed.
Addtional story was building for two memory care units added to ’95 addition, creating two new memory units.

2013

Cornerstone Assisted Living add 20 units on 3rd floor, Memory lane residents relocated to new addition.

 

2014

Good Shepherd purchases several homes on souther portion of campus for develpment of new parking lot and condominiums.

dates